Sunday, October 2, 2011

My Halloween Movie of the Day: Days 0 - 2

I don't know that anyone will really be interested in this, but it's something I'm doing... And since this is my blog, I can write about it, if I want.

So, first off, some background. I love Halloween, and one of my favorite things about it, other than the weather and the costumes, is the movies! Horror movies are so much fun! For the past couple of years, I've even made an effort to watch one for every day of October. Which, I realize, makes me a bit of a geek, but not nearly as much as what I decided to do this year.

This year, I thought I'd spice things up a bit, because this year, all the movies I want to watch (and quite a few that I made myself leave out because I just don't think I'll have time for them) I have digital back-ups of on my computer. I also have an Asus O!Play, which lets me play those back-ups on my TV without having to change discs or anything. Anyway, while I was trying to decide what order to watch the movies in this year, I had an idea.

I put all of the movies into one folder, then renamed them from 1-38 (well, it was 1-36 originally, but I found two more I just had to add) in alphabetical order. Then I used a random sequence generator to determine a new order for them. And since their only title now is the number, I have no idea what I'll be seeing before I hit play. I am much too excited about this little experience.

Anyway, I thought I'd put the order that the movies wound up showing up in on here, perhaps along with a short review of each, though it definitely won't be anything too in-depth. Actually, review might not be a fair term... Since I picked these, most of them are things that I know I like, so it will probably be more of me just talking about what I like about them. To make up for all these unrelated posts, I'll do my best to get some Halloween captions up soon (I have a decent number of pictures lined up), and perhaps even a Halloween-related short story to bring the diaper content of this blog back to normal levels.

Day 0:

I was going to start on October 1st, since that is, of course, when October starts. I wound up starting a day early, though, since I had so many movies. I managed to get through two films.

1. The Omen (original version) - This is a movie I didn't see for a long time. After watching The Exorcist for the first time, I was a bit apprehensive about watching it, figuring it would just be something that was shocking for the time, but otherwise not all that great of a movie (sorry, Exorcist fans!). And while it is a bit cheesy at times, I really like this movie. It just has a great atmosphere, and some very cool cinematography. Love it.

2. Nightmare on Elm Street (original version) - This is one of the movies I make an effort to watch every Halloween-time. I've seen the rest of the series, and it's all right, but other than Wes Craven's New Nightmare (which I very reluctantly removed from the running this year), there aren't really any I care to watch more than once. Again, there are definitely parts that look cheesy as hell, but there are also some things that are still genuinely spooky, like the first victim getting pulled onto the ceiling. It doesn't hurt that a very young Johnny Depp is in it, either. It also made me terrified of bathtubs for a while when I saw part of it when I was about four, so that helps, too.

Day 1:

3. Fright Night (original version) - The first movie I'd never seen before. I wasn't really sure what to expect, but it was a lot of fun. I was totally convinced for a while that Peter Vincent was a vampire, though... In the scene where he talks about how vampires don't cast reflections, I was sure he wasn't casting one in a mirror in the background of the scene, which I thought was some nifty foreshadowing, and then there were a few other things that seemed to hint towards that, but it never actually happened. I'm actually kind of glad, since that would have been a bit of a cheap twist ending.

4. The Addams Family - I haven't seen this movie in forever! My grandparents had the tape of it when I was little for some reason (I think they got it from McDonald's, maybe?) and I remember watching it there a couple times, but not for at least ten years, probably more. I was afraid my memories of it were clouded by my youth, but it really is a lot of fun. And Christina Ricci is so cute and little in it! That was weird to see after seeing her in Pan Am last weekend.

Day 2:

5. Suspiria - I love this movie. Really, the only thing I dislike about it is the dubbing (and the ridiculous way they pronounce "occult"), but since the original audio track apparently no longer exists, I guess I'll have to live with it. Visually, it's just amazing, completely different from most everything else I'll be watching for this. It looks like a storybook come to life, and the simple story fits in with that, too, at least until all the killing starts. Even that doesn't completely break the spell... Usually I hate to see fake blood in 70s movies, because it so often looks ridiculous, but here it just fits in. The music is pretty great, too, especially that incredibly creepy main theme. I also find the story about how it was made rather interesting... Apparently it was written to star a young teenager, but the studio wouldn't finance it, so they simply cast an older actor and didn't change much, if any, of the dialogue, and built the sets with the doorknobs and such higher than usual to make the characters seem younger when they had to reach up to use them. Also, I have a total girl crush on Jessica Harper in this movie (and Shock Treatment, for that matter). It's really hard to believe she was 28 here. And I just found out that she has a cooking blog, which is pretty cool.


Incidentally, in the time it took to write this post, I thought of two more movies that I really, really want to add... So the total might wind up being 40 by the time this is all over. It's a good thing I don't have a life or anything!

No comments:

Post a Comment