Tuesday, October 25, 2011

My Halloween Movie of the Day: Day 25

34. It's the Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown / It's Magic, Charlie Brown - I'm counting as one because were on same DVD, even though It's Magic doesn't really have anything to do with Halloween other than a reappearance of the ghost costume. As Peanuts specials go, Great Pumpkin was never one of my favorites, honestly. It has its moments, but I've always felt like too much time is spent on Snoopy's story. I like Snoopy in the comic, but most of the time he winds up being not that interesting in the cartoons, at least in my opinion, largely because he doesn't talk. I do like the part where he's dancing as Shroeder plays the piano, though. The more Halloween oriented stuff is much more consistently fun, and it gives us the classic, "I got a rock," which does on much longer in the DVD version than I remember it being on TV, and is one of the first things I automatically think of when I think of Charlie Brown. And the ending with Linus and Lucy is really very sweet, much more than Lucy usually gets to be. I'd never seen It's Magic before, and it's... Well, it isn't terrible, but it's definitely not the best of the specials.  The different voices for the characters are pretty distracting, though understandable, since it was fifteen years between these two episodes. The whole thing is pretty Snoopy-centric, though that isn't quite a big of a deal as the decision to make half the episode a magic show, and the other half pretty ridiculous. Other than Snoopy, the cartoons usually stick pretty close to realism, or at least a close approximation of such, but not here. That's not necessarily a bad thing, it's just pretty inconsistent with what I'm using to seeing, as is Charlie Brown actually getting to kick the football, which just seems wrong. I half expected it to be revealed as a dream, but it never happened.

6 comments:

  1. I was wondering/hoping the Great Pumpkin would be on your list. (You have a pretty adult list but every good little girl should have this, along with "Garfield's Halloween Adventure" and Disney's "The Adventures of Ichabod and Mr. Toad", on their list of Halloween movies)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wouldn't mind having Garfield's Halloween Adventure, but I haven't seen it since I was a kid, and from a quick search, it looks like the DVD of it is somewhat hard to find. And I have never seen The Adventures of Ichabod and Mr. Toad.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Garfield's DVD is 1 dvd with all 3 holidays specials on it (Halloween, Thanksgiving and Christmas) (I know I didn't even know there was a Thanksgiving one and I am a HUGE Garfield fan). Your more likely to find it around Christmas. The Adventures of Ichabod and Mr. Toad is hard to find but if you can find it it is usually pretty cheep. It is two stories in on movie with the classic Disney opening showing the bookshelf and having the book pulled out and opening and so on. The first story is the wind and the willows read by Basil Rathbone (Classic Sherlock Holmes actor) then Bing Crosby takes over and tells the story of The Legend of Sleepy Hollow and is BY FAR the best sleepy Hollow mover every made!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. TGI YouTube here is just the Ichabod half for your consumption.

    Part 5 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IWCDKcjNGnk&feature=related

    Part 6 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g1Rn1YfmrNs&feature=related

    Part 7 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WWq5RSRaMjA&feature=related

    Part 8 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3p7M9CCmmPw&feature=related

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well, the problem with Garfield's Holiday Adventures is that, at least on Amazon, it's at least $37.50, which is way more than I'm willing to spend on a single DVD. However, I think I've found it from another source, so that may not matter too much.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yeah $37.50 is WAY too much for 3, 22 minutes shows. Depending on where you live Walmart's will have it out around Christmas time for I think just $5.00 but I'm not 100% about that I know it is not more then $10.00

    ReplyDelete