Saturday, October 8, 2011

My Halloween Movie of the Day: Day 8

14. The Mist - Wow, I completely forgot I put this movie in! It's the black and white version, because I prefer that over the color... I think the last time I watched it in color was at the theater. It's very well suited to black and white, and not just because that helps make the special effects look less CGI-y and more real. It feels like a classic monster movie, which makes the sometimes cheesy acting feel less out of place or, to use it as an example again, Night of the Living Dead, but in a grocery store. It's actually more NotLD-ish than Dog Soldiers, since it spends more time focusing on the infighting between the various factions in the store, and establishing that people are the real monsters. Not that the monsters themselves aren't pretty gruesome and brutal... I'd forgotten just how scary the trip to the pharmacy was. I know there are a lot of people who hate the ending, but I'm not one of them. It might have worked a little better if they'd waited another few moments before giving the knife that final twist, and taken out the last line or so of dialogue, but I still think it works, and is absolutely devastating.

15. Trick 'r Treat - I wish this had come a little later in the month... In fact, I may very well end up rewatching in on, or a day or two before, Halloween. To me, this is pretty much the perfect Halloween movie - a little creepy in parts, funny in others, not afraid to kill off a kid or two, and just a lot of fun to sit down with and simply enjoy. It's also an anthology film, which is another subgenre I really enjoy, but, unlike in some, all of the stories here tie together, sometimes in subtle little ways that might take an extra watch or two to fully pick up on. Other than those connections, and a couple nifty twists, there's not a whole lot to the stories, but they're still fun to watch, if just for the wonderful sense of a Halloween atmosphere they create. And the cool comic book opening credits sequence, and a cool take on a classic horror sequence that I don't want to say too much about, since it would spoil one of the better reveals in the movie. The featurette on the Blu-Ray about the origins of Halloween traditions is a pretty interesting watch, too.

This is another pair of movies from the same year, this time 2007. Trick 'r Treat wasn't actually released, outside of some film festivals, until a couple years later, though, and then only on DVD. Unlike most things that get pushed off for that long, however, it was definitely worth the wait.

No comments:

Post a Comment