Thursday, October 6, 2011

My Halloween Movie of the Day: Day 6

11. Grindhouse - Well, actually what I watched was the individual releases of both movies, since, for the longest time, that was all that was available, and I haven't been able to convince myself to buy the theatrical version now that it has been released, even if it does have all the fake trailers. I went to see this in the theater the day it came out, and I had a blast with it, even though I wasn't the biggest fan of Death Proof, partly because it made no sense to show it second, since the beginning feels extra slow after the adrenaline rush of Planet Terror. But anyway, after seeing the longer versions a couple times, Death Proof has really grown on me, and could possibly even be my favorite of the pair now as a standalone movie, though I do still love Planet Terror for being so ridiculously over the top, gleefully disgusting, and not taking itself seriously, even if I really wish Robert Rodriguez hadn't given Quentin Tarantino a role. It's bad enough we have to see him try to act in his own movies... Speaking of which, while I do really like Death Proof on its own, as part of a longer experience, it still has some problems, chief among them that it feels like two movies in and of itself, so adding Planet Terror to the beginning makes the whole thing somewhat wearying to get through, especially knowing that the second half of Death Proof is far better than the first, by simple virtue of not being about such annoying characters who do something other than talking in a bar. The car chase certainly doesn't hurt, either.

No comments:

Post a Comment