Wednesday, October 26, 2011

My Halloween Movie of the Day: Day 26

35. Drag Me to Hell - I've been expecting this movie every time I've seen an older movie so far this month, because I remembered it used an old-style production logo, but couldn't remember which studio it was from. Finally, this time, it was followed up by the Ghost House logo, and I knew it was the right one. This is just a wonderful movie... I could almost consider it the real third entry into the Evil Dead trilogy if it weren't for the fact that there are no Deadites or Bruce Campbell. Not that I dislike Army of Darkness, but this movie does a much better job of balancing the humor and horror the way Evil Dead 2 perfected. And it even has the car! The movie is really quite masterfully done, with lots of unexpected twisting of the knife for our poor heroine, though the last one is pretty obviously telegraphed. It also poses the interesting question of whether or not she really deserves what is happening to her, and just how far she's willing to go to stop it. There's some really spooky stuff in here, and while it doesn't all work, enough of it does to creep me out a bit, especially the great use of shadows and invisible stuff. Much as I love it, though, I can't help but feel curious about what the Ellen Page version would have been like... But since she backed out of it to do Whip It, I can live with that. I'm not entirely sure I buy the theory floating around that the movie is really about bulimia, but at the very least, it's an interesting idea.

Bonus: Attack the Block - I've been waiting for this movie for a while, mostly for Nick Frost's involvement, though also because I've been hearing good things about it in general. It definitely feels like a very British movie, and I probably would have gotten a bit more out of it if I was from there, but I still enjoyed it quite a bit. There's some great minimalist monster design here that is pretty scary the first time you see it revealed, and leads to some equally creepy moments later on. There's some fun action, too, and a few surprisingly brutal moments. I wouldn't necessarily says it has a lot of character development, other than for Moses, who was fantastic, but there are enough little moments here and there to establish the other characters nicely, especially considering how many there are, and how short the movie is. Definitely worth checking out.

No comments:

Post a Comment