Wednesday, October 12, 2011

My Halloween Movie of the Day: Day 12

19. Cabin Fever 2: Spring Fever - This is another movie I bought for $0.50 during the closing sale of the video store I worked at, and another movie I've never seen before. In this case, I've also never seen the first Cabin Fever movie, either... I just got this one because I'd heard it was like Evil Dead 2 at a prom. Which is a lot like why I watched Dance of the Dead, but different enough that I was willing to give it a shot... Even if I hadn't actually gotten around to watching it until now. It definitely wins points over Dance of the Dead by taking place more at the prom before the outbreak starts, having more visual flare, and slightly more interesting characters. There are fewer characters, though, which makes it easier for the filmmakers, and it takes much longer for the real action to start, and once it does, it wound up being completely different from what I expected. Hearing it compared to Evil Dead made me think, of course, that it was somewhat zombie/undead monster related, which was kind of disappointing, since it's just a regular, if overly gory and disgusting, disease that doesn't bring its victims back from the dead - which I probably would have known had I ever seen the first one. There are still definitely some similarities to Evil Dead 2, in tone and in a scene that's a homage to a scene from that movie. And, even though it wasn't what I thought it was, I still enjoyed it, and don't regret watching it, or buying it, considering how cheap I got it. It's never going to be one of my favorite movies, but as a fun little B-movie, I've certainly seen far worse. I'm a little shocked to see that it was done by the director of The House of the Devil, though, because that movie is just so much better than this. I'm kind of glad I didn't find that out until after I saw this, since that probably would have raised my expectations enough that I would have disliked it more. Apparently he's disappointed with the finished product, though, so it's probably not all his fault.

No comments:

Post a Comment