Tuesday, October 11, 2011

My Halloween Movie of the Day: Day 11

18. Paranormal Activity - I know a lot of people don't like these movies, but I really like them. They can be a little slow, yes, but it's that build-up that makes the scares, even the little ones, work. Some of the dialogue is a bit clunky, and the justifications for having the camera around all the time are kind of silly, but neither of them are bad enough to completely take me out of the movie. And, while I don't really care much for either of the characters, the dialogue works pretty well for making them seem real (and fairly whiny or douchey, respectively). Also, the scene in, and leading up to, the attic is fantastic. It's the scene that sold me on the movie when I saw it in the theater, and it's still great. There are just so many opportunities for cheap jump scares, but instead, they go with something much more freaky. And the original ending (the one with the cops) is much better than the theatrical one, and fits in much better with the tone of the rest of the movie, I think. As horror franchises go, this is one I don't mind seeing pumped out every Halloween, especially since I think the way the movies are developing is interesting... But I'll get to that another day.

1 comment:

  1. Hey I know this isn't related to this, but I remember reading a caption blog post called 'baby fat' from you. Well I just found this on another site today:

    http://www.abkingdom.com/library/doc/1180

    It looks exactly like yours.

    ReplyDelete