Tuesday, October 18, 2011

My Halloween Movie of the Day: Day 18

27. The Fly (1986) - This is another one of those horror classics I never got around to watching until somewhat recently. This one holds up better than most, with some really incredible and disturbing special effects, like the teleportation accidents (especially the last one), and the arm wrestling scene (and the other scene that involves arms in peril), which completely shocked me the first time I saw them, and are still quite gruesome even without the element of surprise. The slow transformation is very well done, too, and pretty disgusting at times. The only other David Cronenberg movie I've seen is A History of Violence (which I'm not a fan of), so, while I'd heard about his sci-fi/horror movies, I still wasn't quite prepared for just how gruesome this turned out to be. Which isn't to say that the special effects are all the movie has going for it... The performances are quite good, too, and really work to sell the tragedy of the situation. Jeff Goldblum, in particular, is just fantastic. The only other movies I've seen him in where he could be considered the main character are Independence Day and The Lost World, and while he's likable enough in both, neither gives him all that much to do, certainly not like this. The character has a lot of transformations to go through, not just physically, but emotionally, and he sells all of them. I feel like I've said this a lot over the first half of the month (it helps that I picked most of these because of how good they are, so it's not like I'm just stumbling on them by chance), but this is definitely one of the best horror movies of all time, and if you've somehow managed not to see it, you should really make an effort to change that. It probably wasn't the best thing to watch while I was eating lunch, though.

No comments:

Post a Comment