Sunday, October 9, 2011

My Halloween Movie of the Day: Day 9

16. Ginger Snaps - I'm pretty sure this finishes off all the werewolf movies I put in... Didn't expect them to all crop up so close to one another, but there you go. It's kind of strange to think of it, but the last time I watched this, I'd never seen Heathers, which I now can see was very much an inspiration for this, just as this seems like a pretty clear inspiration for Jennifer's Body. I can't remember if I've talked about Jennifer's Body on here or not... I've started to in connection to a couple movies, but I think I've wound up deleting those parts. Anyway, I think it's a fun movie, and an interesting look at the dissolution of a friendship between two girls. It's not a great movie, though, especially when comparing it to this obvious inspiration. Of course, Ginger Snaps is also no Heathers, but it isn't trying quite as obviously to be, since it at least switched genres. I was reading an article about the best werewolf transformation scenes the other day, and was surprised to see in the comments how many people were saying Dog Soldiers was the best werewolf movie ever. I'm not an expert in the subgenre, but I think this movie might be what I'd choose for that honor, which might have something to do with the fact that I'm the opposite gender of most of the people commenting on that article, not to mention a younger sister. Ginger Snaps can be a little heavy handed with its central metaphor, but they're still more potent to me than the story of a bunch of soldiers fighting off a clan of werewolves. It's also an interesting change from the usual version of the legend to have changes, both in attitude and physically, happening all the time, not just during the full moon. It's also kind of cool that it takes place partly on Halloween, making it all the more appropriate for this list, since I didn't remember that at all.

And, on an unrelated note, this is my 200th post on this blog!

No comments:

Post a Comment