Sunday, October 23, 2011

My Halloween Movie of the Day: Day 23

32. The Return of the Living Dead - Yes, another zombie movie, but I don't mind as much today for a few reasons. 1) It's set about an hour away from where I live, which is kind of fun. 2) It's an unofficial sequel to Night of the Living Dead, which we've already established my love for, but in a clever way that makes it so that the differences aren't distracting and 3) it's one of the few zombie movies that's set in a world where zombie movies exist. So it doesn't take the characters half the movie to figure out what's going on. They know the basic rules already, though these zombies don't necessarily follow all those rules. This is also, as far as I can tell, the first movie with fast zombies. Which isn't something I'm a big fan of, but it's still neat to see it used here, about fifteen years before the trend supposedly started. It may also be the origin of the depiction of zombies as looking to eat brains rather than all flesh, but I'm less sure about that. These zombies talk, too, which I'm also not a fan of (and which I just saw in the movie yesterday) but it's almost worth it for the rather creepy scene where a newly minted zombie talks to a pair of people who are trapped in an attic.

No comments:

Post a Comment