Wednesday, October 19, 2011

My Halloween Movie of the Day: Day 19

28. Idle Hands - This is just a fun little movie... I don't know that I have much more to say about it than that. I mostly got it originally because Seth Green was in it (and he's pretty funny here), but it actually works fairly well as a horror movie, with some fairly violent moments, and not just a stoner comedy. Clearly, I'm aware that the horror comedies exist, and can be quite good, but I wasn't expecting that much from this one. It probably helps some that a portion of the movie is basically an extended homage to Evil Dead 2. Devon Sawa isn't as good at it as Bruce Campbell, but then, who is? Also, I just noticed this time that Anton calls Molly "babysnakes" once, two-thirds of the way through the movie. I guess it could be a somewhat common thing that I've just never heard of, but I prefer to think it's a reference to Killer Klowns from Outer Space, where I thought it was pretty much the worst pet name ever.

Bonus: Santa Sangre - And here's some slightly more severe arm trauma... I'm considering this one a bonus because, having just gotten it from Netflix, I knew exactly what it was when I watched it. I originally added it to my queue with a big of apprehension, because I wasn't a huge fan of my first Alejandro Jodorowsky film, El Topo. But when I heard about Santa Sangre, it just sounded too weird not to give a shot to - after all, it's not often you see a movie about a former child circus performer whose mother uses him to kill people after getting her own arms cut off by her cheating husband. And I liked this movie much more. It dials back the surrealism a notch or two (though clearly doesn't do away with it completely) and has much more of an actual narrative than El Topo, which helped quite a bit. That also helps keep it from being quite as visually impressive as El Topo, since that structure helps prevent any really strange interludes, other than a dream sequence or two, but it's still a good looking movie, and didn't make me feel quite as bad for the director's children (who also act in the movies) as El Topo did. It also made me want to give El Topo another chance someday... Which I wanted to do anyway, but this gives me more hope that I might like it more the second time around.

1 comment:

  1. Ha, I saw "El Topo" about a year ago without knowing what I was getting myself into. I laughed for such a long time about the "rabbit scene" until I recently learned that they actually killed a bunch of them to film it.

    ReplyDelete